Cooperative Work Experience
Cooperative Work Experience provides a beneficial three-way partnership between the employer, the student, and the University. Through the Cooperative Work Experience program, employers have access to a pool of highly qualified students who are eager to take on challenging assignments.
- Provides the opportunity to apply classroom learning to practical problems on the job.
- Allows students to work with professionals in the field they are preparing to enter.
- Students in these programs are generally more committed to their academic fields.
- Coop students are often exposed to advanced technology and equipment in a learning environment that is not available on campus.
- Students learn the competitive nature of the job market and what is needed to prepare for the best career positions.
- Students get the competitive edge in the new graduate job market.
Students in these programs may earn college credit for working in a job directly related to their field of study. Cooperative Work Experience can be full or part-time, temporary or regular, paid positions at or near the entry level in any given field.
Students integrate their educational experience with paid work experience as they explore various career opportunities early in their college careers.
Cooperative Work Experience – How Do I Sign Up?
COOP is an educational concept that relates the classroom to the employment community. Students with a designated major, vocational, or career interest are assisted in locating employment that relates to their classroom studies. Students approved in employment are eligible for academic credit based upon the completion of structured learning objectives.
COOP is available in all divisions and is applicable to liberal arts as well as CTE programs. To enroll for Cooperative Work Experience program, students should do the following:
- You must have a job. If you need a job, see the student employment board.
- Make an appointment with the Cooperative Education Assistant Director, Jo Hickman.
- Fill out the Cooperative Work Experience Agreement Form online
- If you qualify, you will be registered for the program and assigned to an advisor.